How to keep your braces clean
Orthodontic treatment is a very important investment in anyones life. It is essential that you take care of your teeth, especially while you are wearing braces. There may be more care needed for your teeth during orthodontic treatment but it will all be worth it. Keeping your braces clean is just the start to getting the smile you deserve!
Here are some simple steps for keeping your teeth and braces in great shape and extra clean during your treatment:
- If Dr. Nima Mir, your orthodontist, has fitted you with elastics, remove them before brushing.
- Using a fluoride toothpaste and a soft, compact toothbrush, place your brush at an angle of 45 degrees against the gums.
- Gently brush along the gum line where the gums and teeth meet, using a small circular motion on each tooth.
- Brush your teeth. Clean each tooth individually.
- Spend about 10 seconds on each tooth before moving onto the next tooth, brushing in a set pattern so that you don’t miss any teeth. (Take time to ensure that all plaque and debris are removed, and that you work all the way around upper and lower teeth)
- Gently brush the braces. Press your toothbrush firmly enough so that the bristles spread into the gaps between the wire and the tooth. Brush in and around all of the brackets and wires. Ensure that you brush under the wires. A battery powered brush may be the most helpful.
- Brush both the inside and the outside surfaces of your teeth using a gentle circular motion on each tooth.
- For the chewing surfaces, use a firm back and forth motion.
- Spit out excess paste, then closely inspect your teeth and braces in the mirror to check that they are clean and shiny.
- Replace your elastics in accordance with your orthodontist’s recommendation.
- As well as brushing with fluoride toothpaste, remember to rinse with fluoride mouthwash
- Don’t forget to floss! Regular floss works for some patients, but others find it easier to work with a floss threader, which helps you get the floss into tight places. Other patients like an all-in-one product called Superfloss.
Here some tips to avoid those ugly white spots on your teeth after treatment:
- Dr. Nima Mir will always make sure your oral hygiene is at it’s best before treatment, this will help prevent those “ugly white marks” from being left on your teeth.
- These ugly white marks occur when toothbrushing hasn’t been as efficient as it should be throughout brace treatment, that is way it is so important to follow the above instructions on how to keep your teeth clean.
- If these white marks do occur on your teeth, they can be lightened and reduced in size.
Keeping your teeth healthy and clean is always very important, especially while you are going through orthodontic treatment. Along with your help, Dr. Mir and his team will do their very best to ensure you get the best results possible!
Please visit our website page, life with braces, for more information about how to take care of your teeth while you have your braces on!